[Tuesday, August 11, 2009]

Alternative Orientations Part I

To satisfy my growing legion of fans alleviate the boredom, I'll be live blogging MCSOL orientation via i-phone.

10:19 am, CST. I'm in a ballroom on the lovely main campus, wearing a name tag and sitting at a table with my legal writing section (5 men and 5 lovely southern belles). Waiting for the Dean to give his "Welcoming Remarks."

10:27 am, CST. Everyone's making introductions and this iphone is making me really anti-social. Will report back at 1:00 pm, but until then, gotta schmooze, baby!

11:28 am, CST. Sitting in a gorgeous lecture hall listening to Prof. Heatherington introduce us to legal scholarship. His definition of tenure: "Not having to care."

11:33 am, CST. Prof. Heatherington gives a demonstration involving the inflation of a large red plastic bag. Pictures forthcoming.

11:36 am, CST. Heatherington is introducing our first year courses. I'm sitting in the back eating donut holes.

1:35 pm, CST. This is more action-packed than I thought. Will recap when I get home at 5. Until then I leave you with the following quotes of the day, so far:
1. "Don't become a criminal attorney unless you'd be comfortable defending Hitler, Stalin, or Octomom."
2. "When discussing policy, don't become a bumper sticker ... for example, Obama's healthcare plan will not have 'death panels' ... or mandatory sex changes. Sorry to disappoint you."
3. "If you don't know an answer, at least be familiar with the abbreviations in your outlines. Don't pronounce them phonetically."

2:30 pm, CST. Finished early. Time to go set up my student account and hit the road.

2:32 pm, CST. We were having trouble naming our student law firm (aka legal writing section) when the following exchange occurred:

Me (jokingly): How about Cravath 2012?

Anonymous 1L: What's a Cravath?

1 comment:

Nick said...

Cravath. It's french for "tie," obviously.

Post a Comment